The Stanford marshmallow experiment was a study on deferred gratification conducted in 1972 by psychologist Walter Mischel of Stanford University. A marshmallow was offered to each child. If the child could resist eating the marshmallow, he was promised two instead of one. The scientist analyzed how long each child resisted the temptation of eating the marshmallow, and whether or not doing so was correlated with future success. Although the experiment has been repeated many times since, the original study at Stanford has been considered " one of the most successful behavioral experiments."
source
I'm one of these kids (take a guess which one you think I am)
The first marshmallow for me represents a few things as it relates to my life in Peace Corps Azerbaijan:
- Being abroad.
- Having said I'm apart of something that I think is really great
- Becoming a RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) and all associated perks
- Going home for good!
- Being able to speak fluently
- Connecting better with the students I work with
- Building a resource room [ Kind of like a conference room where forums can be held] at the local IREX
- Maintaining real and authentic friendships that took me forever to find.
-
No comments:
Post a Comment