 |
| Welcome to my host family house~! |
 |
| Kitchen with washer |
 |
| Bedroom |
 |
| The living room |
 |
| Yup..the hole in the ground I agreed to use |
 |
| Hallway |
 |
| My bed |
 |
| This is the little garden I walk through to get to my door |
 |
| Of course they have cats! |
So each of us got a host family which is the integral part
of learning/practicing our language as well as integrating into the community
for the first 3 months. I stay in an area called Saray which location wise is
maybe an hour from the capital-Baku. Let’s say Saray is like a town..not so
much a village. Part of the roads are paved and others are just dirt and trash.
It’s half and half. There are a lot of stray dogs and cats and some mild attempts
at garbage pickup. Ok neither here nor there, back to my host family. So I was
placed with a family that does not have children (THANK YOU GOD!-I’LL EXPLAIN
LATER) and they have the main house and a guest house which is completely
re-done. My host mom’s name is Yagut. She is an English teacher that doesn’t
speak English. She also goes back and forth between Azerbaijani and Russian
which is very confusing. Her husbands name is Hamdil who is a musician. I guess
this is true because his snoring beats any big band horn section. ( I need to
say this for my own humor-not yours). When I first got here I was very nervous.
I had no idea what to expect. It was like SURPRISE-HERE’S YOUR NEW ‘FAMILY’ and
the anxiety of that alone is overwhelming. I was super scared but remained
intact up until the point I bumped my head exiting the main house of my host
mom. The tears just came. Mostly because I was experiencing culture shock and
because I miss home so much. And the remainder part of that is because hitting
my head really did hurt to the point of warranting tears. Where I stay is in a
small house behind their main house. I have my own kitchen, bathroom, bedroom
with lock/key and television. Sounds
great right? HA! They live in this house too! Matter of fact when I get home
from Language Classes, the father is usually sitting on the couch watching
Russian news (he’s probably pooped from all that music he’s been playing) and
the mother is not too far behind to come cook for me. They do not have any
children, but they do have a cat or 2. Now I’m not really partial to
Azerbaijani kids just yet. I have to warm up to them as much as I have to warm
up to my parents. They are very silly,
happy, and curious. It just adds an extra layer of unnecessary while I’m trying
to adjust. After I’ve been gawked at (Azerbaijan is the land of the gawking),
pointed at, laughed/giggled at (which I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad
thing yet)-then the last thing I want is to come back home and get barraged by
children who encompass all these behaviors in one single dose. So I was spared. My pct(peace corps trainee)
next door unfortunately has not been.
I’m definitely stressing a simple family for my next host family (yup..i
get 2). Overall however, and this is
the most important thing, I really do like them. My host mom is not new to
hosting Peace Corps volunteers and it’s just comforting to know that she gives
and respects my privacy as well as the many emotions I’m experiencing. Also for
the record-you may be wondering how I can tell the difference between when my
host mom speaks Russian and Azerbaijani to me. When I was crying-she waved her
hands and said words that ended in ‘ski’. I knew she was saying something to
the effect of: OUCH! THAT MUST’VE HURT. IT’S OKAY-CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN! Oh and she has 2 gold teeth, which is a sign
of wealth. Oh, Oh and she wears really bright pink lipstick. So that’s my host
family. Enjoy the pictures of my place. I’ll be staying here until December.
-
2 comments:
I must say definitely not what I expected from reading the blogs we seen before you left. You lucked out, not bad at all! Very comforting to know you have a cool family and your own decent place to live with privacy and locks!
I know your host family-they're really sweet people. You'll be fine. :)
Post a Comment