I have finally arrived to Baku, Azerbaijan. We landed at
about 7pm to the Heydar Aliyev airport. It was really hot and humid and not at
all what I anticipated. I figure that it being September, at the least I’d be
wearing long sleeves. I was wrong. It
was hot, dark, and smelled of construction. They say this country will
celebrate it’s 20 years independence
this October. I think signs should be
placed up every 15 miles or so stating:
THIS COUNTRY IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE. Speaking of-I have not experienced an
inconvenience yet. The starring is definitely happening, but it’s not
uncomfortable. The flies can be really
disrespectful but not an inconvenience.
After customs, having to say my name 3 times to 2 different people, and
collecting my luggage amidst a sea of volunteer luggage, I was greeted at the gate
with light applause and cheers from the Peace Corps Azerbaijan staff. They
snapped a picture of me, made me sign my name and wait around in this lobby
area. I was just taking it all in.
Looking at ads, trying to make language interpretations, checking out how
everyone dresses and looking for a cool spot because this heat is unfair.
We traveled to our hotel called the Bavarius-Don’t look it
up. It’s off the map. I’m in a section 20 minutes away from the airport in an
area called Mardakah. Because it was
night time I didn’t get any good pictures (I’ll make up for that) but I’d
describe it as dry, arid, a bit dessert like. The architecture is more of a
fortress. It has a very middle east feel as opposed to Europe. Not many trees
and road development is spotty. The
hotel itself is nice and very basic. We aren’t staying in a traditional hotel
like some expected. It’s more like mini apartments without a kitchen.
I have 2 roommates: Liz from LA and Carissa from…uhm..I
can’t remember. Liz is an older volunteer with spicy red hair. She’s direct and
matter of fact but very cool. Carissa is kind and Midwestern or southern type:
Bright eyed and genuine.
Tomorrow {which is Sunday for me} we do our first round of
orientation and Pre-Service Training (PST) and first day of shots. I could
shoot myself simply because I just got a booster shot last year but forgot to
bring my yellow card to show proof. I hate getting shots and everyone knows it.
Oh well. I’m here-alive hanging out in the space of
questionable existence. Feeling like this is unreal-but it is so real. Wide
awake and hungry but need to rest so I can adjust to the time difference. I’m
sorry if the pictures aren’t very descript. I was just shooting anything I
could without looking like a weirdo + 5.
1 comment:
On my phone I have have a location set for weather in Baku, Azerbaijan(just cause), it looks like the weather there is similiar to the weather here right now. It that accurate?
Post a Comment