Oct 11, 2011

Honorable Mentions


I have to find any valid or invalid reason to smile. If I took in all the elements of what I’ve seen in this country thus far, I may as well commit myself to taking a Prozac. I mean it pains me to see cows running through trash, dusty unpaved roads that women risk breaking their necks to walk in high heels on, monotonous culture and the desolate remains post-soviet occupation. But I suppose that if all I could do was find the ugly in something, then all I shall feel is ugly. So I compiled a few things that put a smile on my face as well as my heart.
1.       The stray dog that I call Carinhosa! This dog makes me feel special. It’s almost like it’s waiting on only me and when it sees me it literally doles out generous amounts of “I yove you! Where yave you been? Do you yave chicken?”  To which I fish through my bag to give her all but one of the chicken thighs I’m suppose to eat for lunch.  This dog makes me happy and I look for her as much as I think she’s looking for me.
2.       Sunday phone calls from the one person that has been holding me down since daylight savings. I look forward to them whole heartedly because the conversations make the distance seem like right around the corner. It’s great after you’ve been misunderstood all week to finally talk to someone whom you’re in total harmony with. After that Sunday phone call, I’m usually doing a real dirty James Brown (in my mind) because I know he’s doing a real dirty James Brown.
3.       The old man in the street that I pass on my way to the internet café. He’s scruffy and could very possibly be some one’s drunk uncle but to me he’s the master of the neighborhood. Giving me the thumbs up as I respond correctly to his “Nejesen? (how are you?)”
4.       The candy store directly across from my school. This candy store has those huge suckers that are the size of the world and the never-ending pinwheel lollipops that were definitely popular in the 20’s but are the culprit of so many missing, rotten teeth in this community. But the kicker is that it sells Sugar Bear rice puffs! A log of a bag that reminds me of my childhood when all I would ever eat was Sugar Bear cereal, careful to drink the milk that tasted like honey last. I enthusiastically buy a bag for 10 qepik, eating it carelessly and turning the bottom up so I can get the crumbs. I don’t even care that my mouth is crystallized afterwards.
5.       The 15 minutes I steal in order to press my hair with a real live hot comb and not freak anyone out. I do this about once or twice a week when  my host mom leaves me alone to eat dinner. She rushes out to her other home and I throw that hot comb on the stove. Open the window to let out the smell of burnt crispy hair, run it through the roughest parts, turn off the stove and promise the middle section of my head that I’ll get to it on Thursday. No sooner after that my host mom bursts in to check on me-“Yack She!? (you good?)”. She doesn’t notice a thing. ;-)
6.       Watching Family Guy, The Simpsons, Futurama and some other new but equally as low humorous cartoon.  I’m not even phased that all these shows are in Russian. I listen really hard for the undertones of English. If I’m lucky an episode that I’ve already seen will show and it won’t matter what they’re saying-I already know the words.
7.       The people in my neighborhood who finally say Salam (hello) to me first-like I’m one of them. FINALLY!


-

1 comment:

Thomas Scrivens said...

My dirty James Brown occurs before, after and sometimes during the phone call. It usually consists of a few slides, spins and shuffles... no splits. Lol

The LoyaList