Aug 8, 2011

...It's what I answer to

It's Monday and my new name is ALEGRIA(happy)! Yup. Just call me Alegria because this marks the first week of my final days with AmeriCorps and Refugee Family Services. "No more school, no more books, no more teachers dirty looks" or however that little song goes.

I trained the new coordinator today and through  my fast jibber jabber talking, all I could think of was-DAMN I HOPE I HAND THIS PROGRAM OVER TO HER FUNCTIONAL AND LOW DOSES OF HEADACHE. I REALLY WORKED MY BUTT OFF AND IT BETTER STILL BE UP AND RUNNING POST MALA.

I really had such an odd time adjusting to the lifestyle. From driving a Saab to paying my mortgage well in advance to riding the bus and scrambling over the food stamp amount-really placed so much more in perspective for me. I mean I had no idea all the things you can do with peanut butter and sometimes coffee is in fact a meal. I never loved my ipod and library books so much in my life. Who really needs cable nowadays? Give me a good podcast from Public Radio International (PRI) and I'm content as a  babybearonbreastmilk. I didn't know I have a passive aggressive style of management and I really do shake rattle and roll when it comes to public speaking. I didn't realize how spot on my intuition is about people (all though I've known my intuition was spot on-i wasn't good about following it). I didn't realize that there are people bold enough to give you unsolicited advice on how to do your job (we all have the answers right?). I didn't know I was so bold enough to say GET YOUR DAMN MIND RIGHT AND DO WHAT I ASKED YOUR ARSE TO DO OR SEE YOUR WAY OUT OF MY PROGRAM! (part of knowing who you are is owning who you are. I'm a take it or leave it because honestly those are the only options in THIS life no matter where you go or how you negotiate)

I had no idea that the Burmese population have the warmest smiles, and they get bigger with the more arms I flail. I didn't think I'd fall in love with the women from Burundi. I love getting kissed on the cheek and plates of mango. I really fell for the Afghani women who would say OK MAMA..OK OK..YOU BRING ME TEACHER-I HOME-IT'S NO PROBLEM. I'm going to miss the likes of Kuresho's and Fardowsa's and Sarah's and the N'Dawng's and the Sui's and the Naimo's and Nafsi's and the fried chicken and oranges and the writing tests and the big Mersada's that come to save the day in the most Bosnian way, and the reminders of what it means to be a refugee, and carrying babies on your back, and posting artwork from Peter in an effort to say thank you for helping my mom speak better English.

I'll miss all my office neighbors except for one or two with their mean glares and questionable intentions. I won't miss this student loan-AmeriCorps can bust a move on sending that five grand to Uncle Sam for my education and my 'time served'. And finally I'll miss almost all of the AmeriCorps members I worked with. Misery loves company, but the mind is perfect alone. OHM.


-

3 comments:

Thomas Scrivens said...

I'm happy for you and proud as well. It wasn't always easy for you and I witnessed some of the obstacles americorp put you through first hand but... you laced up your boots and kept on marching and now... You are done! You are knocking out one thing after another and you are truly an inspiration to me as well as many others I'm sure. Love ya mi amor

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your acceptance and letter of invitation! I can't wait to meet you. Safe travels. :)

Fatimah A.M. Ibrahim said...

Great post. I have you bookmarked now, so I can come and read whenever I want. So excited for you and proud of you. Isn't it great to live life with purpose? Love u much,and keep it coming!

The LoyaList