Jul 6, 2011

GOD BLESS AMERICA THAT GAVE ME MY EBT!

I FINALLY! got my foodstamps. A solid 300 to which I went straight over to Whole Foods and packed my cart. I work with AmeriCorps as so many of you may know (seeing as though anything community service related organizations are the only fields hiring-addressing all these 'community ills' in our society due to the economic fail) and I'm on a small living stipend. Not nearly enough to pay my mortgage, groceries and public transportation combined. So when i got my food stamps I wrote a list of all the things I was going to buy that I initially had to deprive myself of just because I couldn't afford it on a regular wage. I've paid my money into the government 80 times over (working since i was 16) and since none of this trickle down economy has trickled down to me..i'm gladly filling my cart with exotic fruit bowls, provolone, deli meats, BRIE hello somebody genius water, ORGANIC LOCAL YACKITY SCHMACKITY on the governments ticket! God BLESS AMERICA FOR THIS ONE JACK!

I'd just like to say for the record, there is nothing more humiliating when you are an intelligent, competent person that has given private education institutions more than their fair share of payment per body only to come out with mind blowing debt and a low paying job to boot. And I say, that when these days are finally over ( because bet your bottom dollar they will for surely be over insert title-FOREIGN SERVICE something or another) I will cherish this little EBT card because when it was all said and done--after I've traveled slap happily from one refugee neighborhood to another--after I sat on that bus idle minded wondering when I would ever get off these back aching seat--after I prayed that my computer wouldn't blow to smithereens upon logging in to check my account balance--after I've paid for a roof over my head//water to wash my behind and electricity for the better to see with my dear--I will be thankful for the meager income I received and the ability to eat cake too(not that sunshine label, but DUNCAN) for I WILL NOT MISS THESE DAYS!

-

3 comments:

Thomas Scrivens said...

Lol... Since you are investing a lot of your time and energy into lending this country's government a hand, I don't see nothing wrong with them lending you one! Now you don't have to shop at "Little Giant" anymore, lol. Any store that has full aisle displays of Kool Aid should not be shopped frequently or at all if possible! You will laugh at all of this later when you become a diplomat, an ambassador or some other position you'll earn and your food is brought to you!

Fatimah Ashaela said...

Wow, Malaika, I love your blog. It is truthful, inspirational, made me laugh and tear up at times too. It is really exceptional---save each entry, make it into a book, and call it a day my friend. I am so very happy for you,...that you are following your heart and dreams--that you have been blessed with love along the way--and that you are letting faith hold your hand. You are truly a beautiful soul. I can't wait to read more. xoxoxofatimah/ashaela

Anonymous said...

Well said, Malaika! Shout out to all us gals who are underpaid, overeducated and longing for some fancy cheese on that good bread from Alon's. Your consistent honesty on this blog is quite refreshing. You've reminded me that I used to be committed to documenting my own thoughts like this... Thanks God for sources of inspiration and people who act (like you)!

-ayesha

The LoyaList