I finally got my invitation letter on March 14th. It read something like this " Congratulations! It is with great pleasure that we invite you to begin training in Republic of Azerbaijan for Peace Corps Service." When I first read the letter I had complete raised eyebrows. Went to a google map and looked it up. I frowned at the fact that it was located next to Iran and Georgia and no where near EUROPE'S EUROPE (as in Italy or France or London). Then I researched Azerbaijan-looking for any possible reason why I shouldn't really accept the invitation. Was it unbearably hot? What's crime like? How are other Peace Corps volunteers rating their experience in AZ? I found nothing that struck as unnerving! I even looked for a 'Turkish Toilet'-better known as an outhouse-and didn't find that either. What I did learn was that it's a moderately safe country, not the most ethnically diverse and their capital city BAKU boasts some of the best nightlife (but who wouldn't say their own city as the best). I tailored my search focusing on Minority Peace Corps volunteer experiences. What was it like to be black-because I couldn't identify with being asian or have a disability or being gay. I ran across this video
Mar 16, 2011
The Invitation Letter
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment