Mar 16, 2011

In Light of Good news..here's some bad.

My father is really upset that I accepted my invitation to Azerbaijan. He's very worried and thinks it is unsafe. He has gone to the farthest of his mind and emotionally has said that he will not support me in this decisions. Now-let me be clear. My family is tight and I think I have some of the best parents. My dad is also an emotionally charged creature and is combustive when he doesn't off right agree with something. We've been having a text fight all morning about my choice to accept my invitation. I have to take everything that he says" I'M NOT SUPPORTING YOU....I'M NOT COMING TO VISIT YOU.....THIS IS YOUR DECISION AND I PRAY FOR YOUR SAFETY"

I have to meet my father where he is...a protective parent who doesn't want anything to happen to his child. I have to meet my father where he is and try not to hold it against him that he's shouting these things that really feel--well, hurtful. I don't know how many peace corps volunteers have parents who didn't glow when they found out about their service assignment. It would be nice to meet one or two. Right now I have to control my inert responses and charge it to his head and not his heart. I'm clueless about where to start with some of his concerns.

I would say part of the problem that we as americans face is our isolated amount of information. When you see military rush a crowd of young protesting Egyptians , or tsunamis hit Japan, or find out that peace corps volunteers are murdered in Burkino Faso, there is no internal filter in order to separate the hard facts from the sensational exaggerations. I too have to be leery about signing onto things that seem good without doing enough research. Right now I'm comfortable-but if my dad isn't, that weighs just as equally.

It's definately something to pray on and I'm meditating that in the next seven months, he would have warmed up to the idea.

-

3 comments:

emilyhuseby said...

Hey girl hey!
I just saw your comment on my blog and was so excited you found me! I am really happy to hear about your invitation to Azerbaijan. I hope your dad comes around about your decision because this has been a great experience for the past six months. Emily

Carrie said...

Hey! I also just saw your comment on Emily's blog. We are SO excited for you guys to come join us in Azerbaijan!

Please let your dad know that if he wants to talk to either one of us, we are MORE than willing to talk to him and help relieve some of his fears. I know it can be really nerve wrecking for parents when their children go to live in a foreign country for two years.

Again, we are so excited for you guys to come join us. Good luck with the craziness of the invitation packet!

Malaika (as in Nakupenda Malaika) said...

YOU LADIES ARE MY INSPIRATION! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET A POOL OF PEOPLE THAT I CAN CONSORT WITH IN HOPES THAT MY FATHER COMES AROUND FULLY. WHO WANTS A SKYPE DATE?

The LoyaList