My dear Thomas came to visit me in Azerbaijan. His flight was a
shuffle between Atlanta to JFK with a layover in Turkey and an ending
destination to Baku. After a long haul, many delays, lost luggage,
jacked up cab prices, I was finally greeted with the best hug a girl
could ever have gotten.
We did 2 day trips to Baku
exploring all the regulars: Old City, Fountain Square, expat
restaurants, and a coffee house. After learning that in the capital you
will either pay with your worthless dollars (yes 400 usd easily turned
into around 300 azn and that was the -i want to eat the city budget) or pay with your neck in whiplash (thank you bus number 65 for jerking us around) hence we decided it was best to head on to my site. We played a 24 hour game
of Sleep Catch Up, wrote some nasty emails to Turkish Airlines {I would
like to further blast them as the worst airline carrier in the world
right now} and I showed Thomas how to take a bucket bath. Disoriented,
tired, missing the clothes that make him comfortable, we opted on cabin
fever and lentil soup. Went back to Baku only to be bounced around again
between the airlines and the airport to find his luggage haphazardly
sitting in the Baku office of Turkish airlines with a "send back to the
United States" expedited tag on it.
I wiped the sweat off both our foreheads and told myself, there
is no such thing as traveling without hiccups. I believe this now more
than ever. Please stay tuned to part 2 of this journey.
He is now in Shirvan and I have proudly shown him off to my
community. Our first stop was the post office where people greeted him with
firm handshakes and genuineness. We ran to my favorite little thrift
store and there he exchanged skype addresses with one of the employees
who is moving to Stockholm. I swooshed him off to the bazaar where he
caused even more of a stir, as any Barack Obama representative could
(essentially, there is a man at the bazaar who upon seeing Thomas
shouted BARACK OBAMA! BARACK OBAMA!).
It was a delight after the headache of missing luggage to finally be around some people who were pleasant and kind.
In other news..IT'S MAY I TELL YA!
 |
| Shirvans' Erin. Erin just does what he/she wants. |
 |
| The Rooster Gang that crows at the oddest hours of the day. |
 |
| Me & My Guy |
 |
| Some other architecture. Shoulder shrug on the location |
 |
| Fountain Square |
 |
| I don't know (shoulder Shrug) |
 |
| Alley way in Old City |
 |
| The Azneft |
 |
| Baku Roasting Company-a close encounter with Starbucks |
 |
| This man was funny calling Thomas "Barack Obama" |
 |
| My favorite Shirvan vendors. They have LETTUCE! |
-
1 comment:
6th pic down..four seasons hotel and flame towers in the background. i live around here. gotta find that market for some lettuce!!!!
Post a Comment