Jan 2, 2012

Hello New Year!!?? Why didn't you call me before arriving?

2012 arrived and I wasn't even prepared. I just woke up and BAM..I'm in January. I mean didn't I just land in the airport in Philadelphia while myself and fellow PCV Annie scrambled for a taxi shuttle like..yesterday? What is happening with father time? Is there a fire? What's the rush for?

IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME BUT I JUST GOT HERE!

Those are the anxieties that I'm feeling: the beginning of the end. Well the holidays have come and gone with Christmas being permanently fond and New Years being unforgettable (there is emphasis on unforgettable. Tell me-when was the last time you saw a straight line and a crooked line tongue fight?) and I'm super glad to have gotten it over with. But now what? Conversation Clubs? Sleep? Super Duper Summer Camp? I guess I could. After checking in with other volunteers about their progress at site, it seems to me that I'm suppose to be doing conversations clubs. Conversation Clubs: gather together 5 or 6 students, play some games, open up their minds, practice a little English, practice a little Azerbaijani, answer some strange questions and get home in time for çay (tea). 

Because I'm placed at a school, I've offered my time Monday's through Thursdays at 2pm for an hour and some change starting this month. I'm going to hang around and wait for students to show up.  Keep your fingers and toes crossed. I'm too shy to stand on a corner and pass out flyers marketing experiments club or movie club or beginners English club
I think I'm just amazed at how fast everything is going and it makes me slightly nervous as the nights turn into days. I know I have so much time ahead of me, but my mind is whizzing around my possible future. I try to block out thoughts about which country I want to settle in, what to do with my house, how that foreign service exam seems so daunting to take AGAIN and if I want to entertain graduate school. But I can't help it. I'm already shopping for my future life. I saw a sofa I wanted from Cost Plus World Market.

STOP IT!

That's what I want to tell the internal/eternal clock.  Time won't be waiting for me. It will just click on and on until I submit to it's clack groove. I can beg but will be ignored. It's 2012 and that's final! Next thing you'll know I'll be saying-WAIT A MINUTE! WASN'T I JUST BRINGING IN THE NEW YEAR WITH A BAILEYS IN ONE HAND BLOWING CONFETTI OUT OF MY EARS TELLING SOME AZERIS THAT THEY ARE ALL OLMAZ?

Ahh-Happy New Year (Yeni Iliniz Mubarek). You know I want nothing but good for you, and you, and ESPECIALLY YOU!

-

2 comments:

Malaika (as in Nakupenda Malaika) said...

Jan 02, 2012

Ready or not, the tide is turning. Perspective and reality are about to converge. You may feel frozen in place by some unnatural symmetry, unable to move with confidence in any one direction. Don`t give up just yet, as you are closer to the goal than you think. Remember that how you play the game is more important than whether or not you win. Your time of doubt and caution is coming to an end. What now seems like a burden will soon be lifted. Stay steady, but proceed to the next step, which will become obvious to you. WELL WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT?! HOROSCOPE IS NAIL ON THE HEAD

John Doe said...

Yes, time is flying by! I remember being in PA like it was yesterday! This is a good thing though.. I'll be there before you know it, you'll be here before we know it and next thing you know, mission complete! Happy New Year to you again and we all wish nothing but continued success for you!

Don't worry about your conversation clubs, they will go well. You have the natural ability to stimulate a rock so I'm sure a few Azerbaijani kids won't be a problem for you. ;)

The LoyaList