Jan 17, 2012

Bucket Bath Bourgeois

You guessed it! This post is going to be about my bucket bath experiences. I honestly bath about once or twice a week. Why? Because Azerbaijan is the king of water conservation. I mean the next leader in the industry. Why have running water every day when you can save water and have it every OTHER day. Or here is a better one: Why have water every other day when you can just easily have water once a week. I'm telling you!!! You don't know what you're missing. All you androids that have to have a bath every single day are just abusing the situation. Being all soft with your daily baths. WHO NEEDS A BATH? YOU..MR. SOFTEE! soft ass!

 You know you don't need to take a bath every day! SOFT ASS!

I had this conversation with myself on my way to the kitchen to heat up a pot holding about a gallon or two of water just enough to baptize myself with. Initially I wasn't sure exactly what I was doing. I remember first arriving and finding out that the shower didn't work in addition to that we got water every other day. I asked my host sister exactly how did we take a bath. She said " fill this pot, and then use that smaller pot and just pour water over yourself." I was like " okay! dig it!" The first time I did it, I ran out of water. My right arm all soapy and my left arm glistening clean. The second time I did it I was dunking my wash clothe in the pot and rinsing dirty soapy water back onto my self. The third time, and this is the charmer here, I got all soapy and just poured the entire pot of water on my front side forgetting my backside. Then my site-mate went away for the holiday and I got the key to her apartment to take as many showers as I wanted (every other day that is).

But I knew I needed to master the bucket bath as much as I mastered the squat toilet. Therefore I googled a couple of videos and learned a couple of tricks.

1. the water in the pot is for rinsing only.-Don't double dip-
2. Wash what's most likely to get funky first
3. Get in and get out before you have a WHY THE HECK AM I DOING THIS moment.

I treat my bucket baths like glorious body libations. I use Dove and spray myself with the latest perfume concoction from Bath and Body Works or creme from Lush when finished. I don't harbor on the fact that I'm not being hit with hard drops from a 'choose your mood' shower nozzle. I'm fine. I get the job done and don't skip a beat. These are the cards that I've been dealt and I'm going to play this hand like I got a full set-even if I don't. I bet you're curious as to how I wash my hair---HA HA HA! WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW. Let's just say I've got 99 problems but my hair ain't one. OW!

-

5 comments:

John Doe said...

We definetly use to much water here in the states. Everyone needs to experience these conditions and maybe they'll realize how much of a luxury it is. Including myself.

amir sulaiman said...

my trip to mecca taught me the art of the squat toilet and my trip to the bush in senegal taught me to perfect the art of the bucket bath. i feel you.

SHARON HODOH said...

My My I Guess You Can Blame Me--As A- Matter Of Fact, We Better Start With A Generational Habit. Learned Behaviour. I Was Told To Bath Everyday! Well I Guess We Are WASTEFUL When It Comes To Food And Cell Phone. Well Knowing Me I Would Pay Someone For Their Water And Tell Them To Go And Buy Some Baby Wipes Smile!! Better Yet If Possible Store A Few Gallons At A Time! Well Malaika Enjoy The Fruits Of Your Labor That's Peace Corp For You. I Will Send You Some Water." Let It Rain" Love Mom

msandrea said...

So interesting how our Peace Corps experiences are completely different. My water only gets turned off a few hours a day. Youre a trooper!

HummingLoon said...

This brings back memories of living with my grandpa in Jamaica. It's great that you've turned the bucket bath into an art. ;)

The LoyaList