Dec 16, 2011

Love at First Site!

Swearing in is over and I was swiftly escorted away to my second host family. Myself and my sitemate Liz arrived to Şirvan (pronounced Shirvan, formally Əli Bayram) safe and sound. Of course this did not go without acts of deliberate kindness. The driver insisted on making a stop at the fruit stand on the highway to give us 4 bags per person of fruit. 1 bag of apples, 1 bag of Quince (or like an apple and maybe* a pear got it crackin and produced a Quince), 1 bag of pomegranates and finally 1 bag of Heyva that looks like a tomato but soft, delicate, and bruises easily  .
We spent the hour long drive communicating in AzeriEnglish. I learned the driver lost his wife in a car accident. I learned that he may or may no be a single father to daughters and I learned that money doesn't mean anything to him (as he profusely turned down the 60 manat me and Liz insisted on paying him). He brought us down in a BMW and I proposed he drive slowly for the sake of savoring the moment.

No sooner after we pulled through the "Welcome to Şirvan" arch, my host father met us. This is how I knew things would be different. We lugged all of my baggage to the 3rd floor of the apartment and I got to meet my second host family. My host mom Konul, a short powerhouse figure who values education. She speaks Azerbaijani, Russian and English-never the twain shall meet. My host father's name is Hafiz, a poppa bear type with smile lines around his eyes. He too speaks Azerbaijani, Russian and English. Then I have two siblings: Fidan & Nijat. Fidan who is 12, is a tall, clever, and ambitious girl. Concerned about her future in life way sooner than I ever was. Nijat is a squeaky little mouse and weighing not much more than that. This is a stark contrast from what I experienced in Training.


It's quiet for one. I would have gone on thinking that all Azerbaijanis shout and scream and tramp through the house. Maybe that's true but in this house it's all about the art of silence.

I have 2 additional sitemates-Carrie and Jarrett. Want to hear something funny? My parents and I skyped Carrie before I came to Azerbaijan. Talk about there being no such thing as coincidences. She's so much fun as any classically trained artist would be. A breath of fresh air if I can put it plainly. Jarrett is equally as fascinating. He's a deliberate mathematician, easy to get along with-easy to be around.

Now lets talk about the school I work with. It goes from 1st to 11th form (that's 1st grade to 11th grade) and there is no separation. The school is huge might I add, composing of 3 or 4 floors.
The children can be a bit overwhelming and I suppose it's only natural-ya know..with me being a celebrity and all. I jest. It's hard. I haven't found my 'child groove'. I just stare at them trying to figure out what to say and how to meet them where they are. It's not that I forgot what being a child was like, for anyone who knows me knows I hardly act my own age, but it takes me a minute to warm up to them. Some people have a knack for being around kids. I have a knack for avoiding them at all costs. My first week at the school was a huge overdose of noise, poking, reaching to speak to me. I shuddered-wanting to find a place to hide. I tried to smile and be warm but that just seemed to make things worse. I did a round of classroom observation and that was a rude awakening. Not really prepared for the entire class to stand up upon entering and corporal punishment is alive and thriving. I talked to my mother about this and she questioned:  "What's the crime rate there?" I said " Practically zero mom." She responded " Well then! There you go. An ounce of discipline..." We know the rest. The Director at the school had an assembly to introduce me and said something to the effect of-Malaika is our guest, treat her as one or you will have to deal with me. Yaxsi?

If you're getting from this that I'm happy and adjusting then you've read correctly. It was my first successful week and I'm already daydreaming about science fairs and dioramas. Somebody stop me!

-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so proud of you and happy for you! let your light shine, cousin! love, ayesha

Malaika (as in Nakupenda Malaika) said...

thank you! thank you~I'll do the very best I can.

The LoyaList