Dec 16, 2011

Banka you very much

I picked up someone’s nasty little germ, causing me to lose sleep and shutting down my natural breathing passage through my nose. I left work early on Thursday with a terrible headache and wanted to blame it on the Birthday song that the 2nd graders sung for me at a decibel somewhere close to ear ache. Huge powerful voices belting from itsy bitsy spider sized bodies. I came home, climbed into bed with my work clothes and tried to turn down the soup my host mother made for me. Let me note that when I came to Shirvan, I instantly went vegetarian. No chicken and no fish either. The kids find this hilarious and even at the mere age of 12 they are ‘’worried’’. But my point is, this has not put a damper on my host mom's ability to feed me. She just whips up some potatoes, black eyed peas (hello somebody), carrots and seasoning while I float into the kitchen at the aroma with my mouth all ready to eat. Tangent moment: We cooked lentil soup to the sounds of Drake. It was very comforting indeed.

Anyhow I am without a doubt in my mind under the weather (my host dad is learning this phrase). I tossed and turned and drooled on myelf. I took my temperature and it read 101.2. Konul (my host mom) kept coming in with her serenity and just looked exasperated. "What can I do?" she said. "Nothing. I'm just going to sleep. May I have some water?" with that gross eggy face of mine I uttered these words.

Day 2,I'm leaving a soaked dent in my sleeping bag with my mind buzzing that I need to get to the Irex. I need to show my face so that people in the community know who I am. I need to meet with these University girls to whom I promised I would attend their lexicon class with. I need, I need, I need to get myself back in the bed before I lose it on Konul's carpet. And that's what I did. More sleeping, another bowl of soup and a second temperature reading. Still hoovering around 101, I decide to take an Ibuprofen. Konul decides that I should lay on my stomach while she performs 'banka'. Am I getting this correct? ??Banka?? Is it going to hurt? Is it going to make me feel better? She doesn't promise me anything but says it's worth a try. I refuse. I've seen those disguisting pictures of peoples backs and body parts looking deformed all sucked up in those glass jars. 
Konul comes back an hour or so later to ask me again. I give in because I know she has a need to show me that she really does care and seeing me sloth around in my own sweat and drool is just not going to fly with her. Laid on my stomach she places these plastic tubes on my back and starts to suck my skin through. I'm breathing because it's not exactly pain free. She gives me 10minutes and comes back. Now I must coverup which I will go back to do right after this post. Do you remember those commercials selling these pads that you put on the bottom of your feet and all the toxins would come out that way? LOL Alternative medicine, I am bewildered. The little tubes are off and I'm still a bit sick but atleast I can say that what LA'rs have done for $1000 at the spa, I got for free with a TLC warranty.

Editors note: this process is called cupping, but Konul does not call it that. She said and what i heard was Banka and that's what I am going to stick to. Also, I have a picture of this, but I'm showing a bit more skin than allowable. If you'd like to see it, please send me an email.

-

No comments:

The LoyaList