Apr 27, 2011
All you need is love
Sounds like such a lofty idea right? But surely that's all you need. Many people in my circle and outside of my circle have been inquiring about my strategy to maintain a super-long distance relationship with my current boyfriend as I go into the Peace Corps. I flat out say-I WANT IT TO WORK SO IT'S GOING TO WORK.
Now let's be clear. When he and I first learned that I was truly departing and where I was going, fireworks weren't exactly setting off in the sky. I mean who wants to leave ultimate backrubs, warm hand holdings, home cooked meals, jokes, stupid arguments over driving (HE CANNOT DRIVE), and many many soup cooling kisses. I surely do not. But you see I've wanted Peace Corps much longer than I've wanted love. For the record, I believe that anything is possible. I mean when your mom bakes a cake, doesn't she automatically put on the icing too? And don't you eat that cake? WELL THEN.. Peace Corps is my cake, and my Thomas-he's my icing and guess what-I'M GOING TO EAT!
So after many questions that included subtle tones of doubt, some wanted to know how we planned on managing. The answer is - SKYPE, GOOGLE VOICE, TELEPHONE, TEXT MESSAGE, VIDEO BLOGS, etc. I mean HELLO PEOPLE! IS IT JUST ME THAT LIVES IN THE 21ST CENTURY HERE? There is too much technology that goes against the notion that distance will be unbearable. Now I have a plan (THIS IS WHERE GOD LAUGHS RIGHT?). My plan is to communicate as much as possible, keep everything in perspective, and leave room for human error. Human error does include death. I mean what if one of us doesn't wake up to the promise of tomorrow? Yes..I leave room for human error.
But please don't worry. I think when you get down to it, no matter how far-distance hasn't played a role in my ability to maintain a healthy relationship with my Thomas (aka-my guy scrivens) and I'm relatively confident that it hasn't played a role for him either. We all know that there are some people in the world who are rather..hmm..what's the word-specHulATERS! However, the eternal optimist in me doesn't have enough bloody energy to convince them otherwise. For the rest of you-place your meanial bets on this nonquitter. Or you can just simply pray that all we do need is love. Besides...what type of person do you think I am? I'm joining the peace corps for ChristSakes!-
Labels:
honesty,
Long distance relationships,
Love,
peace corps,
skype
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Great read! I'm glad you have found happiness (twice) and have adapted an excellent plan to keep them both. May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.
KP.
You go girl!!! I got your back, and Thomas, whenever you get lonely, COME ON OVER!!! Love you both!
Post a Comment